Blogging is beautiful opportunity to share and blossom. Sometimes it can be a challenge, especially for those who are not used to writing.
Blogging can be done in many ways. One very popular form is called “stream-of-consciousness” writing. The author rambles along, going with the flow of whatever comes up. There is no editing and it can provide the writer with a great feeling of relief. The reader comes along for the ride and can connect with what is alive for the writer.
Another way to write is what I call “focused” writing. There is a point the author would like to make. This form of writing allows many opportunities for learning. Here are some tips starting with basics and moving towards mastery:
- Write a first draft in a program like Word.
- Shorter sentences are easier to read and absorb.
- Use spell check and a word counter (this blog has approx. 400 words).
- Respect your reader’s time: release fluff and repetition.
- Minimize or explain special words, such as scientific or technical vocabulary.
- Keep it authentic and honest.
- Is the point you want to make relevant to your readers?
- Are you making any assumptions about your readers’ knowledge?
- Write continuously, mastery requires hours invested.
- Listen to suggestions with an open mind as they may encourage your growth.
- Pictures and humor add interest.
- Consider preparing an outline or a structure for your blog.
- Are you expressing “from the student within you” or “from the teacher within you”?
- A sample outline ”from the student within”:
- 1st paragraph: I want to share ….. because….
- 2-4 paragraphs: Explain/describe the process.
- Final paragraph: What I learned was….
- A sample outline “from the teacher within”:
- 1st paragraph: Describe the Purpose.
- 1-3 paragraphs: Diagnose the Problem or Pain.
- 2-4 paragraphs: Offer a solution or a program using 3-7 bullets infused with Pleasure.
- Final paragraph: Invite to Ponder or an inspired call to action (1 step). Include a short bio (1-2 sentences).
Remember: we are looking for progress, not perfection. Bring Ease into the journey. Apply a few tips at a time as you become more comfortable blogging. In the spirit of collaboration, I invite you to share any other tips you have found helpful. I look forward to reading your Inspiring Blogs!