Cleaning tile grout can be a very tiring and time consuming job, and many people avoid doing it altogether. But cleaning the grout doesn't have to be so difficult, especially if you know what to do. And even better, you can clean your tile grout using only ingredients you already have in your home. There are many recipes for a home made tile grout cleaner online, but not all of them are so efficient. The dirt which gets stuck on the grout is very stubborn, and you need a strong detergent in order to remove it. Fortunately, there is one simple solution you can try, and it will work both for your shower, bathroom or kitchen. You need 2 basic ingredients in order to make this cleaner, so we can safely say that it's a pretty simple recipe.
What you need:
- A scrub brush or an old toothbrush
How to use it.
1. First you should mix the baking soda and the bleach in a bowl and stir until you get a thick paste. Once the home made detergent is ready, you should put on some protective gloves and apply the paste to the stained grout lines. It's best to leave the solution to work there for at least 15 minutes and even more, if you have the time.
2. This particular tile grout cleaning solution is quite effective and the bleach will do most of the work for you, but if the stains are very persistent, you might have to scrub the grout with the toothbrush or the scrub brush. Scrubbing will not only help remove the excess dirt from the tile grout, but will work the cleaning solution deeper into the grout, which will make it more efficient.
3. Wait for at least 15 more minutes after you scrub the grout, and then rinse everything with water in order to remove the rest of the dirt and detergent. If you're cleaning the shower you can use the shower head, and if not, you can just rinse everything with a damp rag. Also, have in mind that the grout turns dark when it's wet, so the full results from this cleaning session will be visible after it dries completely.
1. Before you start anything, you should remember that you're using bleach. Since bleach can be quite dangerous for everything around you, you should wear old clothes you don't care about, because every splatter on your clothing will leave a permanent mark. And trust me, there will be many splatters, no matter how careful you are.
2. Put on some quality rubber gloves on your hands, in order to avoid irritation. It's also a good idea to use safety glasses for your eyes.
3. Another thing which is very important when working with bleach, is to open a window, so fresh air can get inside. If you can't open a window, at least wear a mask, which will protect your mouth, nose and lungs.
4. If you decide to use a cloth or a rag to rinse the cleaning solution from the tile grout, you should make sure it's something which is white or can be bleached.